Thursday, May 9, 2013

Parenting Walk of Shame..

 So, as I mentioned in the previous post my birthday was Tuesday. At around 2am Davis woke up crying, and was restless. I kept asking what was wrong to which there was no verbal reply just a bunch of whining. Finally at around 3:30 after waking up and going back to sleep several times in between he finally tells me that his ear hurts. I rub the space on his neck between the base of his ear and neck, and we continue our pattern for the next hour before he finally just stays asleep.

 We wake up around 8am, and you would never guess anything had happened the night before. Just to be on the safe side I asked which ear hurts, and he immediately grabbed the right ear, the same one that was hurting during the night. So, I called and scheduled a doctor's appt. I had to schedule with a different doctor b/c Davis' doctor is off on Tuesdays.

 We get to the doctor's office and as we are walking up to the receptionist he starts repeating, " Mommy, I'm fine. I'm fine, Mommy." Of course everybody is looking at me like I'm crazy because at this point he looks like the picture of health. I tell him that we are just going to make sure his ear is okay anyways, and I make eye contact with some judgmental eyes that quickly look away.

 They call us to the back, and as we are walking the "Mommy, I'm fine" starts all over again. While we are waiting for the doctor to come in I ask once more which ear hurts, and once again he grabs the right one. I should point at that when he was 20 months old we lived at the doctor's office because of ear infections. I am not a fan of tubes and neither is my doctor. Almost every child I know that has tubes has had some sort of problems, and the parents wished that they would have just skipped them.

 The doctor comes in, and checks his ears. Come to find out the right ear is so infected the doctor cannot see through the ear drum. He gives me this "you really didn't notice this" look, and proceeds to point out the bright red bio-hazard box as a reference as to what color Davis' ear is. At this point I just want to crawl under my chair, and I insist that last night was the first sign he had shown of anything being wrong. Sensing my guilt the doctor said " It's possible that this might have just came on last night", but he said it in a way as if he was trying to convince me that I might have really seen Bigfoot. He wrote the prescription, and we headed for the door.

 Has anybody else had to do the "parenting walk of shame", or is my kid the only one out to get me? I hope I'm not. Leave a comment, and let me know some of your "walk of shame stories".

Also I am sure my punctuation is that of an elementary student, but I have not had to write anything for anybody else to see in at least 8 yrs. So, please just bear with me.

 Talk to you guys later.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really had that happen to me, BUT I felt like a reaaaaaaaaaaal great parent when Dominic at three years old had to have stitches by his eye from falling into something. That was a parent of the year moment there. Thankfully the stitches didn't bother him as much as the initial cut did. Oh and idk what the dentist thinks of me, my children have nice pretty no cavity teeth but two of them have had to go in because they knocked a tooth out. SMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more nervous when I take Davis to the dentist than when I go myself.

    ReplyDelete